Friday, August 13, 2010

A Most Peculiar Thing

I don't really know where it came from, this strange yet familiar thing. I am not certain how it came to me or why it had "chosen" to arrive at the moment it did. All I remember was it was as quiet as a mouse yet as subtle as a jackhammer. It surely caught me unawares then came at me from behind and blindsided me, yet somehow it struck me squarely in the chest. It had hit me so hard it could have easily broken every bone in my body yet it didn't, instead I felt quite good. Now it floats around me at all times like the moon revolves around our earth, like a bee buzzes around a flower or a melody around a lute. I can't see it yet I can feel it, I can feel it yet I cannot touch it, I cannot touch it yet I can shape and mold it. There are times I wonder if this thing is made out of air or stone; At times it is so gentle with me that I am lulled into a state of languid euphoria, But at times it is so rough with me I can hardly stand the fact that it's always around. This odd thing makes me so restless yet it puts me to sleep. This thing makes me so hungry but I never feel like eating. It screams at me when all is silent and yet when the world is too noisy I long to listen to it's soft whisperings. It calls out to me from far far away yet I know for a fact that it is very close to me. This queer thing distracts me so much yet somehow it helps me focus, it throws me off balance yet it centers me. Though it makes my hands shake and tremble, it steadies me. It makes me want to speak of so many things yet when I feel the urge to do so I grow silent, and though it brings to mind a torrent of words it is impossible to describe. It is so confusing that I fear my mind will soon break and shatter into countless fragments yet despite all this confusion, I become sure of so many things. And lastly, but not finally, I know this thing is mine yet I do not own it. And though I am starting to understand what it is, what it does and how it works- the only thing I am truly convinced of is this: It is and will always remain A MOST PECULIAR THING.

No comments:

Post a Comment